Thursday, December 20, 2007

It's None of Your Business!

We all go to work to perform a job function and to be paid for it. It doesn’t matter if we’re in a “job” vs. being in a “career.” And, it doesn’t matter whether or not we’re working to promote social changes and to improve the world. In the end, we go to work, we perform our duties, and we get a check for our services.

It isn’t required that we go to work to make friends. I think we can take a look at all of the anti-social a**holes at work to validate that point. No one is paid to be the life of the workplace party or to socialize with some, most or all of their coworkers. If you choose to, it’s okay to foster friendly relationships at work. But, some people--regardless of race—are simply very private individuals, who don’t intend on being part of many social networks. These people want to keep business about business. They don’t come to work to spread their business. So, let’s get to the point of this post…

Stereotyping and privacy issues sometimes combine to make false and unnecessary “communication issues” for Blacks in the workplace, such as being “unapproachable,” “distant,” and “unfriendly.” Why do I say this?

It’s been my workplace experience that far too many White people want to play the game “20 Questions” with their Black coworkers. They want to know if we are from the “ghetto,” if we were raised by a single parent, if we are married or intend to get married, if we’ve ever been shot at/been in a drive-by shooting, if we know any rappers, etc. It’s a criticism I’ve heard many Black coworkers make…that their White coworkers ask many probing and/or offensive questions about their personal lives.

But, does anyone in the workplace really have the right to ask these questions, especially questions with their roots in stereotypes?

Some Black people feel okay about answering these sorts of questions. While some Black people don’t feel okay about answering them, but do so anyway out of fear of being labeled as “unfriendly” or “unapproachable.” But, the reality is that not every Black person wants to share their life story or stand around socializing when they should be working. Many Black people who have gotten the “unapproachable” or a similar label at work are often simply people who don’t feel the need to tell their personal business at work.

Maybe workers have watched too much Ally McBeal, Desperate Housewives, Grey’s Anatomy, etc., so they think their existence boils down to everyone sitting or standing around sharing extremely personal information and psychoanalyzing themselves. However, those who don’t choose to be Ally or some other TV character, shouldn’t be labeled as antisocial or rude for not joining in the social networking. If a person is respectful to coworkers, that should be enough for everyone involved.

African Americans should not be stuck with labels for maintaining their personal privacy at work. I’ve had a number of Black coworkers be hit with various labels about being “unapproachable” or “distant,” including labels that showed up on their performance evaluations. The labels just weren’t based in reality. Nevertheless, the examples of their so-called negative behavior reinforced that the expectation was for them to be more “social.” For instance, one coworker was told she spent too much time in her office and that it would be nice if she would “chit-chat” with coworkers more. But, we are not paid to chit-chat. Besides, when does that type of language end up on a yearly performance evaluation? “We think you work too much, so PLESAE stop and talk in the hallways!” That was the gist of the conversation. Come on!

I also had a Black coworker talk about her life experiences with White staff, only to end up having these personal conversations shared with other White staff in a laughing manner. This was all done behind her back, but in earshot of other Black workers. “You know, she’s from the ghetto,” was one of the wise-cracks. And, they also shared very personal details I won’t repeat here.

This is what some Black workers want to avoid. Just like many other workers, we don’t all want to be fodder for office gossip. So, a desire to keep personal business personal should not result in a Black worker being accused of having communication issues with White coworkers. We are at work to work. We don’t have to tell our business. Point blank!

Labels:

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

As usual, this post is right on time and right on point! As a semi-recent college grad, this is something I've had to contend with in the corporate workplace for years now, and it's something I'm still learning how to balance. When I'm at work, I usually am all about business, so I can't understand why an employer would want me to shirk my duties to gab it up with co-workers when that could only come back to harm me in the future. I've had three jobs this year; two of them I've been let go from because while I did a great job with my work, I wasn't the perky, all-up-in-your-face type of worker, and thus I was dubbed "distant" and "unfriendly" and even "menacing". It got to the point where people said they were afraid to talk to me, which is weird considering I could go days without a peep from anyone (even when I spoke to them)! HR managers everywhere need to read this and pass it down through their ranks so they can get the message.

5:33 AM  
Blogger LeAnne@Hairs My Story Team said...

Same here.

I'm not anti-social. i just prefer to keep professionalism at my job. But, somehow, the one black girl in the office has a tude. Some people you just don't click with and there is nothing wroing with that.
once upon a time...hairs my a story.com

4:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

OMG! karsh...I have the same problem. I start a new job and I kid you not, there's always one woman who causes me grief. In the last ten years, I've had at least as many jobs. I come to a point where I don't think I'm employable anymore because they cause my work to suffer and I end up getting let go because of "sabotage".

My peers always say, can't you just ignore her? But I do, but how can you ignore someone when it's not in your nature and you have to work closely with the person. I guess I'm too professional, or threatening - both physically and skill wise.

I just don't get it. I'm getting hints from friends that maybe I should start my own business. That's my goal, but I can't afford to right now.

Please read the current women's magazine called "Pink" with Tyra Banks on the front. It a new mag about women entrepreneurs and it has a fabulous article about black and white women in the workplace. I was in the middle of reading it and just almost thru it across the bookstore. I got so angry and frustrated reading. I had to go take a walk and wipe my tears before I can go back and finish it.

6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

THANK YOU for this post! Lord KNOWS I've taken the "well, maybe it's ME" approach and have attempted to become more "user friendly" in order to shed the "distant"/"unapproachable" labels. I attempted to do the small talk/just folks thing, asking about holidays, vacations, etc, only to be SHUT DOWN! It's confusing as all hell. They want to get all up in YOUR business, but don't want to reveal anything about theirs! However, recently I was hipped to the game that white folks play by a sister coworker: white workers (whether they are at the professional level (doctors/lawyers) or laboring class (secretaries/maintenance) only want to share details with EACH OTHER! I was told by this older/wiser coworker that whites tend to treat other whites at work like old friends while they treat black workers like "the help". I said all that to say, YOU CAN'T WIN FOR LOSING! So, I play them from a distance: speak and I'll speak, don't speak, I won't speak. But, you won't EVER catch me telling my business, ESPECIALLY to white women. They HATE it when they can't get inside your head and have this need to know what you're thinking every minute of the day. It's really weird. Great post!

11:16 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My mid-year review in summer 2007 was all positive ("Exceeded Expectations" --the highest ranking a manager can give), except for one comment that I need to work on being more approachable.

Much as I can't stand some of the folks I work with, I intentionally act respectfully abd friendly towards everyone (as long as they are not acting disrepectfully towards me), so I asked my manager for examples of specific instances when I was unapproachable. He couldn't come up with one!!! All he could do was comment that "one or two" co-workers had made this comment to him about me, and of course he wouldn't say who they were.

I countered that I can rarely get through an hour at work without being interrupted by a co-worker wanting my help, or my opinion or advise on something. Because my cube is right outside his office he had to concur with this fact. I then stated that based on this fact, it seems to me that whomever said I am unnaproachable is in the minority opinion. I then asked him if he had even considered that perhaps my accuser(s) has an issue he/she/they need to work on, but instead at working on themsleves, they were playing the victim role and making me out to be the villian. My manager admitted that he had not thought about the situation this way.

There was some more conversation, but before the review was over the word "unapproachable" was removed from my mid-year review. However, if I had to put money on it, I would bet that he's never talked to my accuser(s) about improving their themselves.

6:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hate the people I work with. If I disclose anything, they use it against me. I don’t trust them & I keep my guard when I am in their company. They are very shallow & they talk about bullshit all the time. However I do behave in a professional manner in that I am respectful & courteous. I don’t ever want to become close with racists. I HATE them. Period! I dread company social functions whereby I have to front up or being labeled anti-social. It gives them ammunition to gang up on me if I don’t participate in social events

3:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Now that I know it's not me, it would be nice to know what the resolution is for this. i believe I am going to lose my job as a result of the phantom "unapproachable" label. How can one fight against this? It really is a no-win situation....

12:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FINALLY! A blog where somebody understand ME. I am slowly but surely getting hip to the games that are played while we professional black women are busy trying to make a living!

12:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counters
Toshiba Computers
Blogarama - The Blog Directory <