Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Employee Notification of Anti-Retaliation Policy Following Complaints

If you file an internal complaint at your company alleging that you are the victim of harassment or retaliation, your employer is supposed to inform staff that it will not accept you being subjected to any mistreatment, while your complaint is being investigated.

In addition, any employment decisions that are made, after you file a complaint, should be reviewed by your employer in order to ensure that the decisions are not a disguise for continued punishment. For instance, if you complain about harassment from your supervisor and your supervisor transfers you to an office that is isolated (a long and out-of-the-way commute, etc.), your employer should analyze the transfer and should reverse the supervisor’s decision, if it is determined that you were transferred based on your supervisor’s need for revenge.

The EEOC specifically says: An employer should make clear that it will not tolerate adverse treatment of employees because they report harassment or provide information related to such complaints. An anti-harassment policy and complaint procedure will not be effective without such an assurance. Management should undertake whatever measures are necessary to ensure that retaliation does not occur.

For example, when management investigates a complaint of harassment, the official who interview s the parties and witnesses should remind these individuals about the prohibition against retaliation. Management also should scrutinize employment decisions affecting the complainant and witnesses during and after the investigation to ensure that such decisions are not based on retaliatory motives.

Source: www.eeoc.gov

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't know who you are, where you came from but you are a God-sent!!!!

I have tears streaming down my face because I had one hell of a summer dealing with the bullying of a supervisor, 2 administrators who are her good friends and 2 non-responsive union reps (I work for the state government)! I am now back on medical leave after 3 months because of the mental and physical breakdown on the job dealing with the harassment from all 3 women. But what makes my situation so unusual is that the perpetrators are BLACK FEMALES like I am!!

Why I didn't find this site during my continous hell I don't know. But reading some of these topics have gotten me motivated to fight back! Indeed knowledge is power! EEOC can't help me because of the gender and race factor, but going up my chain of command to central headquaters of the agency to get the help I need!

Thank you thank you thank you! I will email this site to all of my friends.

Sharon

God Bless you!

12:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

BTW...what do you do when you deal with the bullying of your own? I know for a fact this woman has a long history of bullying employees who come into her department who seem to be more educated or highly qualified. It's as if she is intimidated or threatened by them. I came in to the department with a promotion and Employee of the Month. It was hell from the beginning.

I'm still suffering from job related stress syndrome and ended up on medication from my dr. Anything to keep me from going to that jobsite and going postal on her.

12:32 AM  
Blogger Thomas Jackson said...

Ms. Wills I echo Sharon’s thanks for your site. I have commented several times on my blog about what a great resource your blog is. I have been made smarter and more educated by two of your posts and subscribed to your blog to ensure I don’t miss out on anything else. I believe that the more we all share what we know, what we learn and what we have experienced … the more we will achieve in furthering Equal Civil Rights.

3:24 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Thomas, you think we should EMAIL her these comments? I didn't see an email address to her until this morning.

9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counters
Toshiba Computers
Blogarama - The Blog Directory <