Sunday, October 01, 2006

THE BLACK FACTOR ON A BUS

This isn't work-related, but I thought I'd share. I got a phone call from my Mom around noon today. She and my sister were on a Greyhound bus heading from NY to Connecticut. She said, "There's a White guy who's sitting in the back of the bus and he has a hatchet with him." I asked, "What did you say?" She said, "He has a hatchet in the seat next to him. Your sister is telling the bus driver right now. I'll call you back." I get a phone call back about 30 minutes later. My mother tells me that the bus driver approached the White guy and asked what he had. The guy says, "A hatchet." Well, duh! The bus driver informs the guy that he will have to put the hatchet in storage underneath the bus. So, the driver pulls over and they put the hatchet with the other luggage. The driver continues on the destination without saying another word to the White guy. When they get to the destination, the White guy reclaims his hatchet and goes about his business. QUESTION: Under what cirmstances would a Black guy, sitting with a hatchet, be allowed to stow it under the bus AND not have police waiting for him when the bus reached its destination? Talk about racism. But, check this out for overt racism: The Port Authority Police searched several Black, young men getting on the bus. Yes, they were frisked, for no apparent reason (except as a part of a "random" security check). The White guy--with the hatchet--was not searched/frisked/questioned! And, he had a freakin' HATCHET! Must be nice to conceal a weapon, display it, and walk away without questioning. By the way, upon disembarking the bus, THE BLACK BUS DRIVER APOLOGIZED TO THE WHITE MAN FOR TAKING THE HATCHET AWAY DURING THE COMMUTE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

counters
Toshiba Computers
Blogarama - The Blog Directory <