Thursday, January 25, 2007

White, Freshman Representative Sought Entry Into Congressional Black Caucus

Tennessee Freshman Representative Stephen I. Cohen (Democrat) says he sought entry into the Congressional Black Caucus because he won his seat in a district that is 60% percent African American.

Rep. Cohen has since backed off his request to join the Black Caucus. He now says, “"When I saw the reticence [to let me join], I didn't want anyone to misunderstand my motives. Politically, it was the right thing to do," he said. "There are other ways to gain fellowship with people I respect."

So, what do you think? Was he trying to work with the Black Caucus to better represent his constituents or was this some sort of political stunt to bring attention to himself?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very interesting question. If his district really is 60% black, and he was still elected, I think he should be a part of it. After all, his constituency is us; we talk about wanting inclusion all the time, so why not?

10:27 PM  
Blogger S. Mary Wills said...

I just want to see if he makes good on his pledge to find other means to network with members of the Black Caucus or if he sits at the White tables in the cafeteria!

4:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

counters
Toshiba Computers
Blogarama - The Blog Directory <