Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Reader Answers to the Question of the Day: Would You Cooperate With An Internal Investigation?

I previously asked: If you saw or overheard a race-based incident at work, WOULD YOU cooperate with an internal investigation about what happened? Specifically, would you be honest about what you saw/heard, if asked by someone in Human Resources or by a manager to tell your version of events?

I appreciate the honest responses to this. Thanks for sharing!

1) Anonymous said...
Yes I would. A close relative got a noose at work last week, and she saw the guy yesterday at work. She will be working at home, but right now her job hasn't disciplined the guy yet. Appartently they have 30 days to investigate the complaint. She does have witnesses, but it's a matter if they are willing to speak the truth or not. Either way she's cover, becasue EEO was called before she had a chance to call them.

2) Anonymous said...
If I saw or overheard a race-baced incident at work, I would be reluctant to provide too much information to the inside corporate investigators -- because 9 times out of 10 you need to think that they'd cover-up the incident. However, I would give as much information as possible to an outside investigator like the EEOC.

I reported an incident at work where a manager actually called a group of workers into her office and told them not to report a co-worker who had made racially charged statements and that was the last straw for me. I couldn't believe that any employee should have the right to intimidate and use their position as a means to keep people from speaking the truth. Unfortunately, intimidation was this companies style -- but I didn't realize to what extent until it was too late -- all the way up to the Corporate Headquarters.

The insurance company that I worked for was so bad that every employee was the state of fear and unconsciously under the control of the supervisors, managers and directors. They all knew how shrewd this employer was. Looking back, I believe that the Director could walk on a floor of 1,500 employees pull out a gun and just shoot anyone they chose and everyone would claim that they knew nothing about it or even heard the gun go off. It really didn't matter if that employee was black, white, green or purple. If management wanted that person dead, they were dead. Every single person who complained got canned for some of the most bogus things you would believe. Their favorite claim was theft of some sort so that they could say that the person was terminated for gross misconduct. They did not care about the persons reputation, their community activity, their family -- the insurance company intentionally encouraged the gossip to be spread because they knew that they could get away with it.

The Human Resources dept was a master at altering documents, omitting pertinent information, using psycho-social manipulation, paying people off through third party sources to get information for them and hacking computers. I had people calling me up using tape recorders and everything and reporting everything back to their contact source all for a pat on the head, a couple of bucks and a cookie. You would never believe the lengths to which an opportunist will go.

The Unemployment Administrative Law Judges were like people were just as bad. I honestly believe beyond a shadow of a doubt that they were working for the employer. They were so eager to side with the employer and railroad you in order to accomplish the employees desired end.

I know what it's like when you are surrounded by people who have no integrity and are willing to do anything to please a corporation.

3) Anonymous said...
I would be reluctant to participate in an internal investigation. However, I would. Internal investigations usually doesn't amount to anything but I would participate anyway. Now I would be 100% willing to participate in an external investigation - EEOC.

I have to believe to some degree the EEOC's investigation is fair and have no undue influence from Management.

4) Anonymous said...
I would without a doubt. . .and would make it clear that -- as an individual -- I do not stand for that type of behavior. And, as a company, they shouldn't either!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

counters
Toshiba Computers
Blogarama - The Blog Directory <